What is Mortons Neuroma?
When there is thick scar tissue around the nerves that communicate between the 3rd and 4th (usually) toes at the base of the foot it can cause swelling and pain which is categorised as Mortons Neuroma.
Signs and Symptoms
- 3rd and 4th toes feel burning pain
- Can present with parasthesia or pins and needles
- Toes can feel numb
- Running and high impact sports causing repetitive trauma
- Compression around the toes from high heels or narrow shoes
- Foot problems like bunions, pronation and hammertoes.
A Morton’s dome can redistribute the forces from the affected interdigital nerve and open up the space between the bones to ease pressure and pain. Manual therapy from your expert PhysioPro which can be used in conjunction with Podiatry treatment. In severe cases ultrasound scan can be used to confirm the diagnosis and occasionally cortisone can be used to settle the chronic inflammatory cycle.